…and soon he’ll move out – Part 4

When I picked Igge up from Mosquito (The Preschool) yesterday I walked there with spring in my steps. It had showed out that I was more concerned about this new era/daily routine than Igge was, so I felt quite happy – even though my son to whom I gave birth to and to whom I gave my body and soul left me like I was an odd glove that you find when it thaws. At Mosquito, however, they said that the day had gone so so. Igge had discovered that I hadn’t gone to the bathroom, he had discovered that I was actually gone and then he had started crying. During the day it had happen a few times and they thought it would be good if I stayed in the neighbourhood the following day, just in case the schooling in didn’t work. Eh, sure. But what am I going to do “in the neighbourhood” for five hours?! We chose this preschool because it’s in a forest. Also, it’s minus 7 degrees Celsius and I would become Frosty the snowman if I aimlessly walked around the forest for that long. Regards to my survival skills I would most likely not make it at all. After 30 minutes I’d probably start eating bark, I’d definitely be lost and try to navigate after the sun, which in Sweden is the same as certain death.
Then I remembered that my Auntie Elle lives just down the road and I know I’m always welcome there. I called her up and she was thrilled (or polite) at the idea of me having breakfast at her house the next morning. At least that would kill two hours, I thought to myself.

The bus didn’t come – for the fourth day in a row – and we ended up having to run in order to make circle time. Setting a routine is crucial in schooling-in-phase, I know. Yet I’ve been late every day so far. Great start. I left Igge and this time he understood what was going to happen and as I left I saw his bottom lip beginning to shiver as he was standing on the other side of the window, not waving at me. Rushing away from that heartbreaking scene I soon arrived to Auntie Elle’s, where she and my cousin had made an amazing breakfast. We sat there, constantly eating and emptying teapot after teapot when the phone rang and it was Mosquito. They said Igge hadn’t touched his lunch, he had only slept for half an hour and now he was crying non stop. Mommy was out the door so fast her tea cup went spinning on its spot. Actually, Auntie Elle drove me there, so I was literally there within the minute. After some hugging and comforting I brought Igge back to Auntie Elle; after all we disturbed in the middle of our fourth or fifth pot of Lapsang souchong and we did leave our discussion about weather or not it’s a good idea to get a pet when you’re over 70 years old. When we came back to the house the sun was ouzing in the back garden and we moved our tea out there. Even though it was minus 7 everywhere else, the back garden is always really hot and we all sat in only T-shirts. You could think it was spring if you saw us, whaaaat? Unfortunately Igge also loved the beaming sun and the heat. So much that while we – the grownups – were continuing our deep discussion about pets after 70, Igge – the child – had removed all his clothes and his diaper and was now sneaking his way out from the back garden into the huge front garden. Auntie Elle burst out “Oh no!” as we saw a naked little ass disappear through the barrier of chairs we so cleverly had put up. There we go, me in a T-shirt and no shoes, running after this 14 month old laughing, naked baby (not completely naked, he was still wearing his hat with bear ears on it) in the front garden which still was minus 7 degrees, covered in deep snow and right by the road where everyone could see.
Responsible mam? Well, I did realise it was time to leave.


Not every day you get to have homemade kumquat marmalade on your breakfast bread